Friday, September 29, 2006

Metro Cafe and Wine Bar

Metro Café and Wine Bar.
32 East 21st Street (between Park and Bway)


Ok so the last two burgers I wrote about were awfull. No help what so ever in giving you ideas on what to eat. Its about time for a real jem. I think I will even award this placewith the title of


“Best Date Burger Place”

(I think that is the first offical title ever given out by this blog)
No they don’t have some huge burger to eat lady and the tramp style (hmm could be interesting…very messy though), but they do have a great burger, good ambiance, good service, and a huge wine selection.




It is called Metro Café and Wine Bar so the fact that they have a lot of wine shouldn’t really be a surprise. I did like how they had over 100 wines by the glass to choose from as well as little sampler flights. This city is full of good wines bars though, if it wasn’t for the fact that this bar had a dam good burger I wouldn’t be writing about it.
Metro had quite a few burgers to choose from. Beef, Lamb, Turkey, Veggie, and American Style Kobe Beef. Many places today falsly label Kobe Burges. Kobe Beef is like Champagne. Just any wine with bubbles isn’t necessary Champagne. Real Kobe Beef is also not legal in the US, so ether that place is not telling the truth or they are just breaking the law.
I decided to go with the Kobe Style Burger. The burger that arrived was massive. With a whopping 9oz of beef you would think after four bites this burger would be all over the plate, the table, my lap, the floor; a recipe for disaster on any date.

In a true feat of culinary architecture the burger stayed in tact for the whole meal. The patty was very firm and well packed. Most burgers this size split apart when lifted. The glazed bun also helped reduce slop potential but not becoming overly soggy mid meal. The only thing falling to the plate was all the juice from the burger (lots and lots of it).
The Beef tasted great, and with the generous heap of grilled onions and all the sides I was def. stuffed after eating. I am not sure if the Kobe Style is really any better than the standard burger it might be a way to just make a few extra bucks.
This is a place that I am sure I will come back to so I will have to go with the less expensive version next time and write an update.
The burger wasn’t the only star of the meal. My pickle would probably have been Second Ave Deli worthy, the Cole Slaw, also great, though maybe a tad sweet for some of you sourpuss’s. The Fries were fantastic. About 3x as thick as the ones McDonalds serves and they had a slight crusty-ness to them.
The meal might get a little pricey if your burger coma prevents you from leaving and you decide to stay and order wine after wine by the glass, but all and all that wont be a bad use of your money or an evening.


The web page also has a 10% off coupon (click here for it).

Type: kinda classy, date burger, thick burger
Price: Kobe Style Burger, fries, slaw, coke and tip was a little under 20 (non-kobe style was a few bucks less expensive)
Recommended?-Yes for sure. Stay for an hour or two.

Links to other reviews of Metro Cafe and Wine Bar:
Citysearch


1 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi fellow blogger,
I am a fan of your site and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind checking out mine, as I am new to this and maybe adding it to your blogroll? and I will return by adding yours.


Thanks
DMANBURGER


http://dmanburger.wordpress.com/2009/12/12/dmanburger-old-homestead/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home