Thursday, March 16, 2006

New York Burger Co.


NEW YORK BURGER CO
303 Park Ave South (btw 23rd and 24th …yes one block away from Shake Shack)

Welcome to Gramercy’s other burger place. New York Burger Co. was the number one NYC Burger for 2005 according to AOL CityGuide but is it any good? While the menu offered 9 different burgers I kept it simple and went with the 6oz burger served with plum tomatoes, romaine, lettuce, and a brioche bun. Apparently the beef was “Charcoal Grilled” but I didn’t taste it…I mean I guess even Burger King is “Flame Broiled” so no big woop.
My burger ordered medium was a little dry, not as juicy as I would have liked. The size was right but in general the burger itself was nothing special. Better than at a diner but not one of NYC’s Elite.
I was a fan of the variety of sauces the joint offered. Chili Ketchup, A Maple Dijon sauce, 1000 island, Chipotle Honey, BBQ, and the NY Burger Co Special Sauce. I added a dip of this sauce with each bite to cheer up the otherwise only slightly better than average burger.
NYBC also served up fresh cut Idaho Fries cooked in 100% soybean oil. Apparently that is healthy or something…though if you’re worried about that sort of thing why bother at all. I liked the fries; they were thick and a little soggy…probably not for everybody though.
I might be tempted to try one of the more fancy specialty burgers at some point…they did look good. GQ Magazine also rates the onion rings here as the best in nyc…but I think they also say you can get rock hard abs in 4 weeks so who knows.

While the burger wasn’t bad I see no reason go here when you could just walk one more block over to shake shack.

Type: Slower fast food
Price: Burger Fries Drink 8.75
Recommend: No. Go to Shake Shack even if they have a line / don’t open for a few weeks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home